Sunday 6 February 2011

The sun always shines on Lou Treleaven - February Femme Fatale

February Femmes Fatales - February 6th

Back in early 2009 when I decided to stop leaving scribbles hidden in drawers and do something with them, I really had no idea where I was going. I joined Talkback, the private online forum of the UK's leading writers' mag Writers' News and Writing Magazine. I can now safely, and happily blame TB for what I have become.

Lou Treleaven is a fellow Talkbacker who has offered her voice of experience, her support and opinions over the last couple of years. And she's just... lovely! She writes dark fiction for children, young adults and big grown ups like us. To be able to gear your writing to those specific age-groups is a true talent which Lou has perfected.

I am proud to share space with Lou in horror anthologies Caught By Darkness and Daily Bites of Flesh.

Lou's February Femme Fatale story Fun With Derek is indeed a lighter-hearted tale with a determined humour, perfectly suited to a Sunday. I hope it tickles your fancy.

Fun with Derek By Lou Treleaven

“I suppose you’d better come in now you’re here,” I said, reluctantly opening the door to my ex-boyfriend.

“You’ve done all right for yourself, haven’t you?” he remarked cheerfully.

I narrowed my eyes at him as the thick wooden door slammed shut with a bang, rattling the grubby chandelier on the ceiling which released a shower of dust and a couple of plate-sized spiders. “You think so?”

Derek brushed the dust off his brightly-coloured jumper and followed me into the kitchen. “I never thought you’d be able to afford a decent place of your own.”

“I don’t think I’m ever really on my own here,” I said, pulling two mugs out of the cupboard. Above us, thumping noises and the rattling of chains announced there were still things in the attic I hadn’t managed to purge, but Derek didn’t seem to notice.

“I thought you’d come running back to me. I guess I was wrong.”

I handed him his tea. Behind him drawers started opening and closing of their own accord, but he didn’t hear them and walked over to the kitchen window. He took a hanky out of his sleeve and cleared a little peephole in the grimy glass. “Interesting.”

“The statues? They seem to change position every day. It’s like they’re acting out some bizarre play for me,” I said, joining him at the window.

“Not them. The stones. Is that a –“

“Graveyard, yes. It’s the previous occupants. You do realise this is a Dark Neighbourhood, don’t you? I mean, you saw the signs, the gibbets? It’s not ideal, but the rent’s dirt cheap and it’s handy for –“

“Rachel, won’t you come back to me?” Derek cried, putting down his mug and grabbing me by the shoulders in an uncharacteristic fit of passion.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw a statue outside pretend to vomit. I tried to ignore it. “It’s not that simple. What about my job? You don’t like it and I do, and I’m not going to give it up for you. I’m doing okay now, better than ever before in fact. Being in a Dark Neighborhood suits me. Now if you could consider moving to Unhallowed Acres as well…”

Derek looked sulky. “Are there any good gastro pubs?”

I considered. “There’s the Hangman’s Noose, but the food’s a bit ropey. The Cannibal’s Arms do a nice pie though, if you’ve got the stomach for it.”

“I’m serious, Rachel! Okay, I’ll try. I’ll even put up with your stupid job if I have to.”

My phone beeped. “Talking of which…” I glanced at the text and sighed. “Dr Chilling’s transformed again. I’d better get over to the surgery before there’s another bloodbath.”

Derek slumped. “Here we go again.”

“All right.” I put the phone down. He was doing his big puppy eyes. The ones that had got me into trouble the first time round. “Dr Chilling can wait a few more minutes. Go and sit on the sofa.”

I pointed him towards the living room. A shabby velvet chaise longue was the only furniture. Tall stained glass windows depicting macabre scenes looked on. Derek sat down awkwardly.

“I’m just going to fetch my silver dagger,” I called lightly.

“Your… what?”

“My dagger.” I was back with it already. I prided myself on always keeping the tools of my trade close at hand. I advanced on him and raised the weapon ready to strike; immaculately clean and polished to perfection, it shone prettily in the purple and red light coming through the window. What a lovely tableau we made at that moment.

“But – but you only kill vampires and… and werewolves and… horrible unnatural creatures!” Derek cried, putting up his arms.

“That’s right,” I said. I wrinkled my nose. Derek had lost control. How disgusting. “You are a horrible unnatural creature. Look at that jumper! And you keep hankies up your sleeve!”

“That’s not a crime!” Derek sobbed.

He was dribbling now. I sighed. Vampires were much more fun to kill. And that was the whole problem. I enjoyed my job so much more than I enjoyed spending time with Derek. In fact, I loved killing full stop.

“It is a crime, Derek. You are a crime.”

I shoved the knife into Derek’s chest, deliberately just missing his heart a few times before hitting the target. Outside I could hear the statues scraping along the ground towards the windows, pushing each other out of the way to get a look.

“Now this is fun,” I said, shaking a blood-stained strand of hair out of my eyes, but Derek seemed to have stopped listening.

Typical.

___________________________________

Bio:
Lou Treleaven writes speculative fiction for adults and children, and can be found on the web at www.loutreleaven.wordpress.com.

20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that was a fun and exceedingly clever little romp!

    We should all love our occupations so much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She purposely misses his heart the first couple of times! That speaks volumes.
    I found the statues moving when no one was watching them, except for her, very creepy! Great finish too, Lou. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that got my Sunday morning off to a good start! Thanks, Lou, that is one lovely story! I got freaked out by the plate sized spiders at the beginning, let alone the rest of it! Loved the statue pretending to vomit at Derek's impassioned pleas! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! Excellent piece Lou. Witty, fun and freaky! I loved the statues and things moving and the bit about 'things in the attic she hadn't managed to purge.' It pulled me in and kept me in its grip. And the ending freaked me out, I was expecting her to get back with him but then you pulled the rug out.
    Well done, I want more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful writing, thank you! I loved the humour and the statue pretending to vomit is priceless. Derek really shouldn't have worn that sweater should he?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really loved this story. It had enough darkness, character and humour to pull me through far too swiftly.

    What a fantastic world you've created in such a small space of writing. Even the names are of the people and locations are inspired, 'Dr Chilling','Unhallowed Acres' and I don't think I'll be enjoying a pint at 'The Cannibal’s Arms' any time soon.

    Great tale that left me smiling, even if my lips were shivering a little.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! So much fun! All the little details; sweater, neighbourhood, restaurants, statues... and such a twisted plot! Loved "Typical." Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG. This was both dark and hilarious, not an easy thing to achieve. I loved everything about it, especially the names of the pubs. I couldn't help but feel sorry for Derek though. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This whole tale is just alive with the language, and the little details you've chosen to show. The wordplay about the neighbourhood is a nice touch as well; and the overall black humour elevates the story into something immensely fun to read.

    You are definitely the consummate professional. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sardonic and dark, what a little gem, it made me titter, "There’s the Hangman’s Noose, but the food’s a bit ropey. The Cannibal’s Arms do a nice pie though, if you’ve got the stomach for it". Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As usual Lou, you have a great turn of phrase which always makes me smile. Liked the statue puking, the gastro pubs and the hankies up Derek's sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl you know how to MOVE a story and keep our attention. I love the humor and the hack/slash is just enough but not too much. Hee! “It is a crime, Derek. You are a crime.” This line is just beautiful. I want to read more of your work. Going to check out your site now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the kind comments all, this has been really fun and I can't wait to see what else is coming up for the rest of February.

    Jodi - I haven't got much out there yet but I am working on it.

    Margo, you are right - the jumper was his doom!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chuckling at the jumper and hankie up the sleeve
    ;-)

    Also liked the the way the statues were jostling for position!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lou,
    Midnight was the perfect time to read this. I've just got in from the Cannibal's Arms - 3 quid for a pint of blood - bloody rip off if you ask me!

    I had this play out visually as I read, which means your writing was spot on. The statues were a great touch too. Very entertaining.

    Regards,
    Col

    Ps. Nice pic by Lil at the end as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's also good for a boring Monday morning, too Lily! Haha I love it, especially the last line. Fantastic write, too, Lou!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore the humour in Lou's tale and feel a very naughty satisfaction as Rachel doesn't get... even exactly, she simply gets on with her life despite Derek - and that's far more powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lou, that was great! I suppose he deserved it but missing his heart a few times on purpose, that was uncalled for. HA!!

    Excellent writing.

    (Apologies for my lateness)

    ReplyDelete

Lily Childs is a writer of horror, esoteric, mystery and chilling fiction.

If you see her dancing outside in a thunder storm - don't try to bring her in. She's safe.