Tuesday 8 February 2011

The Colour of Laurita Miller - February Femme Fatale

February Femmes Fatales - February 8th

I believe I first crossed fair and floral paths with today's February Femme Fatale Laurita Miller over at The Not, Michael Solender's marvellous blog. We've also had words on The Six Sentences Network and The New Flesh.

Her writing is beautiful yet wistful, dark and mischievous - what more could we want?

But Laurita isn't just a fine mistress of the pen, she is also a very brave woman who I truly admire. On March 12th Laurita is having her head shaved to raise funds for Young Adult Cancer Canada. She has already significantly supassed her $2,000 goal and donations continue to come in. What a big-hearted way to raise awareness. All the best of luck, Laurita.

Read more about Laurita's Shave for the Brave...

And now, you really are in for a surprise if you go into the woods tonight. Forget lions and tigers and bears, oh my - Red is made of far darker things.

Red by Laurita Miller

He wouldn’t have long to wait. He knew her schedule well. Every evening at eight-fifteen she walked into the woods with her picnic basket. Every evening at nine she walked out, licking her lips and her fingers. This evening, he would be the one to enjoy her goodies.

He waited patiently until he could see her cloak, a smear of red through the shadows and the trees. The scent was delicious and it pulled him from his hiding place.

She turned only her eyes toward him as she passed, offered a shy smile, and clutched her basket closer. Her hair fell in tangles, dark slashes against the vivid red cloak.

He breathed deeply, absorbing the delectable subtleties of her scent. His mouth watered. He stepped forward and gently placed his hand upon her arm.

“Well, well. You must be Little Red Riding Hood.” His gaze traveled from her face to the large basket on her arm. So many luscious temptations in one night.

She laughed, a low, throaty sound, unexpected and unwelcome. Distressed, the crows above flapped away. Their calls echoed through the pines, and then there was silence.

“No.” She snarled and turned to him. Sharp fangs gleamed as she licked her lips.

“I’m the big bad wolf.” 
_______________________________

Bio:
Laurita Miller enjoys writing in the dark and walking through revolving doors. Her work has been featured at Gloom Cupboard, Six Sentences, Flashes in the Dark, The New Flesh, Yellow Mama and has appeared in several anthologies. She blogs here: http://ringkeeper.blogspot.com/
_______________________________


20 comments:

  1. Loved this, Laurita. You could tell that she was just a little too self assured to be the victim in that good night. It's a hallmark of your style that you set up expectations, and then exceed them with your endings.

    Such delicious sense-play. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story. Just a hint of eroticism with a perfect ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love stories that play with the fairytale genre. This works on different levels, just like the real fairytales. I liked 'a smear of red' and the crows flapping away at the sound of her laughter (unlike the typical heroine where the woodland creatures follow her around!). A great reversal of an iconic tale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo! I guessed there would be something of a twist in the tale - but it still caught me out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kind of tale, Laurita! I love a woman who can set a good trap. You set this up perfectly and kept suspense high with thoughts of the predator and then flipped it in the end. Excellent penning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This story makes me giggle! Such joy in the last sentence! Unfortunate he doesn't share her sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it gorgeous! Makes me feel as though I'm wrapped in red velvet.

    I neglected to add that this is the first of two pieces from Laurita so you have another one to look forward to later in the month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love this! That last sentence really nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. licking her lips and her fingers

    dark slashes against the vivid red cloak

    Those lines moved me into an *Uh, oh he's in for trouble now* state of mind.

    And I wasn't disappointed. Lovely work as always Laurita!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful twist on the old tale, Laurita, great read for this afternoon. (just downed pills for a migraine, looking for something to distract me, did you ever do that!)
    Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for the comments, everyone. I had great fun writing this. I'm glad you enjoyed.

    Lily, thanks for hosting this seriously wicked month of horror goodness. Can't wait for the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A straight-forward classic horror story, complete with great twist/punch-line! I so enjoyed your language, for example this: ”He breathed deeply, absorbing the delectable subtleties of her scent.” Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved this, great twist on the tale. Happy to empower the little girl, haha! Peace...

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great twist on a classic. It is sensuous, and creepy at the same time. The ending is perfect and perfectly unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha I love it! That's made me giggle, in the weird way bad things do. It's lovely the way it's written and I didn't see the ending at all. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I get all the cool chicks at the NOT...Oh this one is sooo devilishly tasty and wrapped in such finery. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A wolf in red riding hood's clothing! Rawr. Women possess the inner beast as well (Lady or the Tiger?). I love this. It actually reminds me for some reason of your story at Erin Cole's 13 days of halloween in 09 (which is my Laurita favorite of all time). You build a perfect atmosphere "Smear of red in the shadows", which I've come to think is your trademark. Wonderful, Laurita.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved that one, Laurita. Short and sweet with a killer last line. Well done!

    (Apologies for my lateness)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent story, Laurita! When you started with her licking her lips I though, "Hmmm, not what it seems..." You never disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Building to the twisty end. Well done

    ReplyDelete

Lily Childs is a writer of horror, esoteric, mystery and chilling fiction.

If you see her dancing outside in a thunder storm - don't try to bring her in. She's safe.